Sunday, October 19, 2008

Relationships Aren't Movies: What Not to Expect from Real Life Part I

Yes, I guess I could go through a movie or twenty and find myself stuck in similar situations as a fictional character, but I'm not going to. Why? Because movies aren't real life, and romantic relationships aren't movies. 

I'm a romantic at heart, and though I try desperately to hide it, I am aware it is evident to some. Here is my advice to those in the dating world who sometimes forget if they are watching a movie or living one:

1. Don't assume he is going to open the car door for you all the time just because "that guy" on "the grossly over girly movie" does. 

2. Don't expect him to be spontaneous. He isn't Captian Jack Sparrow after all...and perhaps that was a bad example.

3. If he hates the rain and you're hoping for a kiss in it, try a squirt bottle. It's the only way to get closer to your Notebook dream.

4. Don't expect a Spidey kiss unless he loves to wear tight spandex and hang on the monkey bars. If he happens to do those things, the kiss has a better chance of being embaressing than "aww" worthy.

5. I'm not sure if chivalry is dead, but I suggest not expecting your man to put his jacket over a puddle you're about to step on. If you don't expect and he ends up following through, then good for you

6. When he takes you home for the first time and said goodnight - maybe gave him a smooch - as soon as you close the door don't expect him to start dancing and singing/yelling all the way home as the sprinklers turn on. I've expected "Singing in the Rain" before and was sadly disappointed when I found out he hadn't even seen the movie.

I'm planning on a couple more parts to compile together with this one, because you never can have enough movie metaphors. 

2 comments:

Braeden said...

nicely done, I know some people who should read this... so since you are such a dating guru, in your next one I think you should share how you feel about getting flowers as a gift, or not getting them...

Shane said...

i am going to respectfully disagree with you..relationships in movies are so real and they teach guys like me everything we need to know about relationships